Each school year is ripe with changes and possibilities, and this year South Lancaster Academy has that in abundance. We are welcoming our returning and new students with some new faces in the faculty and a facelift to the parking lot, athletics fields and gymnasium.
We are pleased to welcome two new administrators to our team:
- David Branum is the Principal (see July 2018 Fiat Lux)
- Ginnie Hakes is the Vice Principal (see story below).
SLA also has three new academy teachers:
- Damali Caine is the Religion Teacher/Chaplain. She comes from Pine Forge Academy in Pennsylvania where she taught religion. She relocated with her husband, Eric, and their young son, Nathan.
- Veronica Iria is the Business/Technology/Art Teacher. She is not new to SLA as she's taught art here part-time, but now she is a full-time teacher taking over the business, technology and yearbook classes as well.
- Karl Hernandez is the Maintenance/Transportation/Vocational Arts Director. He is well-known at SLA as a popular substitute teacher, but now is our full-time Maintenance Director and teaches woodworking and home repair.
We are happy each one has joined SLA to continue to share God's love while they educate our students.
Perhaps the most obvious changes is on the school grounds itself. A newly designed parking lot and pick-up/drop-off zone increase safety and efficiency. Both athletic fields, one by the elementary building and one by the secondary building, were leveled for improved drainage and usability. The gymnasium got a fresh coat of paint with the school seal and Crusader logo gracing the walls.
We are extremely grateful to Allain Sitework and Comley Excavating, both alumni-owned companies, for their work on the parking lots and fields.
Good things are happening at South Lancaster Academy. God is leading, we are following.